Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Funerals

Ok. Now I know that this subject is not one that is fun to talk or think about, but I need to make a memo if you will of how things went today.
I knew that Ricks funeral was not going to be an easy one, and the only reason I went was to see his Mom & Dad. I will forever be glad that I did. It has been probably been Ohhhh, I'm gonna guess 10 years or so since we have seen Don & Judy Cleavenger.They have ALWAYS been so good to us and treated us like family. Today was no different. It did take Don a few minutes to recognize us. He hugged us both, but I held on for just a second longer and he hugged me tighter than I think I have ever been hugged, and he just flat broke down! Up until this point, I had fooled myself into thinking that I might get through this with just a few tears. HA! I was SO wrong! I promptly proceeded to cry with him. Then he grabbed Judy and the whole thing started again. They were so glad we had come! Judy asked if we had seen the program, and when we said no she got a little excited and said we "had to see it, cause it would make us laugh!" She was of course right. On the back of the program, was a picture of Rick taken right around the time that Chet and I got married. Sitting on his then truck, with his boots, levi jeans, bomber type jacket, his stunner shades and ball cap.( oh ya, we can't leave out the mullet ) WOW! Talk about a blast from the past! It was like I was there again, for just a mintue. The funeral over all was really good for what it was. It was different than any I have ever been to before. I have always been to LDS directed funerals, and there was none of that at this one. They didn't begin or end with a prayer, and when it was over it was like no one was sure it was over for just a few seconds. Very strange to me, and nothing I have ever experienced before.
Ricks Mom did say at one point that she didn't know what she was going to do now. I was, at that moment so grateful to know that there is more than this short life time on this Earth to look forward to.
I can also say that I hope I never have to go to a funeral like this one EVER again! Also I hope that Rick will now find the peace and direction that he never did find here in this life.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing that. I have had my share of funerals lately and have been so blessed to know that this is not the end. I can't imagine the despair and anger that could come if I did not know that. I pray that you can continue to find peace at this time. I am here for you, and well, I guess Chet too.