Thursday, December 4, 2008

Everyday!




Like I said when I started this blog, I started this for my own Journaling purposes. So please don't ever read my blog thinking I am preaching please. I just think that if I pay enough attention, everyday, there is something I will learn. And just maybe, if I can learn from daily "stuff", then maybe, if I share the stuff I think, someone else might also like to share in the learning with me, by my sharing.
Anyway, I just need to share an experience I had yesterday, that really touched my heart, and again, made me SO grateful to be me and have my own set of challenges.
Yesterday, was the Junior High choir concert at the Joseph Smith Memorial building. Megan and I got there quite a bit before the Choir did, (I know, please keep the amazed breath intake to a minimum). Anyway, we had time to wander before the kids got there. Not that anyone wants to know this, but I had to find a bathroom. (yes it is necessary, for this part to be in the blog)
While we were washing our hands, into the restroom came a woman and a teenage boy. I was very taken back at first, until I started listening to the questions the young man was asking his Mother. It went sort of like this, Son:"I have to come in here with you, because of my handicap?" Mother: "Yes, that's why." Son: "will I always have my handicap?" Mother: "Yes, you will." Son: "Will I have my handicap in Heaven?" Mother: "no, You won't" Son: "because in Heaven, HE will take my handicap away?!"..............
Now at this point, there was Megan, me and another woman standing if front of the mirror finishing drying our hands and such. All we could do was stare at each other with misty eyes and listen with softened hearts. I can't remember exactly word for word or even what was said after that last statement, but I do know I was so moved by his last and simple comment.
I watched this young man wander around, the rest of the time we were there. I thought about talking to his Mother, but that seemed like it might have been out of place. I was reminded again, how well the Lord knows us as individuals! He knows that challenges that he has given us are the things we should be able to face with a reasonable amount of grace, if we put our trust in, and lean on him. Some days the "why me" party takes up so much of our time that we forget that maybe, instead, we should be saying thank you for letting it be me, and please, give me grace. Anyway, that's what I learned. I don't think I would have the grace to be that boys Mother, but I hope that I do, with some small amount of grace deal with the challenges the Lord has placed in my life.
Also, why I was there I thought of Mary Ann, and her picture of the fallen tree decoration, and I wanted to let her know, how much I really enjoy her, and her pictures! So I took a picture in her honor. The decorations reminded me of you, and made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Love the picture! Amazing journaling as always. Brought a tear or two to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing!

Emily said...

Hey! I still need to send you an invite.... I um, lost your email. I know, shameful! So here is mine, send me a smal note, and I will make sure I send you an invite.

I do love the picture, and especially the insights. Thank you!

Emily Wall

jas.n.em at gmail dot com

Tinabean said...

That story is perfect.
I have a few friends with special need children & they are amazing mothers.
I'm with you I don't know that I would be able to perform the challenge of being that kind of a mother.
I was wondering if it would be ok if I shared this story on my blog?